Tuesday, April 01, 2003

Dance, Little Sister, Dance! 04.01.03

[--aprilfoolsday--]

In case you didn't get to see Serena Williams' comments at the end of her victory in last week's Nasdaq 100 tennis tournament, a recap. Sweaty, tired, and answering a question about how she feels about the United States being at war (because we need opinions from the most spoiled and sheltered athletes-- tennis stars who are removed from junior high for training), she replied in a bad French accent: "Well, we don't want to play in the war, we want to make clothes. We don't want the war."

I guess such off-color comments are hard to divine meaning from, especially when they come from the intellectual hotbed of Key Biscayne, Florida, but the words certainly felt ignorant. Mostly because of the accent. The very bad accent. The mocking sound of the accent. Kind of reminds me of one of the reasons I don't like Robin Williams-- his "ghetto" accent while I think "rapping"--because yo, yo? I guess it rhymes-- on a promotional commercial for the movie Toys back in 1992.

And a reason I don't like Ellen Degeneres-- a seriously unfunny joke wherein she ends up being chased by bees, and these "brothers," who had been doing some anachronistic cooning, then get around her in a circle and she's flailing at the bees. See, they think she's dancing, and they're like, go Ellen, go Ellen. Wokka, wokka!

Ha, fucking ha. Guess I don't cotton to cooning and mockery. I'm just a humorless curmudgeon sometimes.

No comments: