Thursday, April 17, 2003

Passing 04.17.03

The holy season is upon us. Passover, Holy Thursday, all rolled into one religious ball. I've never been a big fan of Passover. Since seventh grade, it's when I realize that without my Jewish friends, I have… uh… video games? Selvadurai? And so Eben is off with his parents and Silver is probably the same, et cetera, et cetera.

That's okay, I've got Holy Thursday, also known as Maundy Thursday. I should find out why that is, since I don't know what "Maundy" means, but I remember the word.

FYI: this is what I get from the Webster's New World dictionary:

Maundy Thursday
[[ME maunde, ceremony of washing the feet of the poor < OFr mand= < LL(Ec) mandatum, commandment of God < L (see MANDATE): from use of mandatum at the beginning of the prayer for washing the feet, commemorating Jesus' washing of the disciples' feet: see John 13:5, 34]] the Thursday before Easter

Maundy = ceremony/ commemoration. AKA the last supper. Good. I will commemorate the last supper by dining with my dear friend ATB (not the DJ, the lady from Cleveland) and breaking bread over Persian food. See, Iran is near Iraq, where the Tigris and Euphrates meet for tea, and near enough to Jerusalem's Christian holy sites.

A little rationalization goes a long way. Almost across a subcontinent.

No comments: