Thursday, March 20, 2003

While You Avoid War Coverage… 03.20.03

My little brother is an aspiring rapper. Like so many other people in New York. I’ve met some of his fellow rappers, a red-headed kid from Cambridge, MA; another white kid from Cambridge; some Latino kid who may or may not be Latino from Hartford. Last night he told me about a fellow named Aztec, a white kid from St. John’s University (yes, people really go to that school) who is signed to the Ruff Ryders label, home to DMX and Beanie Siegel-- whom he ripped in a freestyle battle, supposedly.

A couple of weeks ago, as Mariella was regaling myself, Gully, and Soldati (along with the rest of the I-Bar) with song, a young man was pointed out to us. A young rapper signed to Eminem’s label, Shady Records, who’s supposed to be “blaze,” as the kids say.

My question, is, of course, are there any black rappers out there? Can you hear me?

No? Then I have found my calling. I’m founding a rap group with New Topography, we’re gonna smack fire out your ass. And change the world with our wordplay about gunplay and how nice we are. And I don’t mean nice as in pleasant, dog.

No comments: