Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Daytime Twilight 08.05.03

Wish my parents a happy anniversary. They’ve been at it for a long time.

Last weekend I saw “Giggly,” known in your newspaper as “Gigli” and pronounced as “boring hackneyed crap.” Ray-Ray couldn’t handle it and we saw The Secret Lives of Dentists in its place. Saw a woman who was all the bad qualities of Alanis Morissette with a guitar, and she played after Adam Greenberg, who was v. good with his pop vocal stylings and range. Made like 12 year olds in a diner with Gully and Soldati.

Curled up a lot and hoped my sinus headaches would go away.

And today I want to catch up so badly I can taste it. I want to give you visions and scenes and work on the other blog. But there’s no time. So I will leave you with this.

Coming out of a train on 34th and 6th Avenue. The skies, dark; the commuters, harried and pissed at all the delays. The streets, teeming. And there is a perhaps-young woman, holding on to a cigarette with a twitch.

She is missing some teeth or perhaps she just has a smile with gaps. Our subject has a few zits, and a sallow face. In an athletic-tight tank top/ sports bra hybrid, highlighting her ribs. Sandy brown hair, up. She is watching people get off the train, and has a hand over the white bandage placed around her elbow. Or her heroin holes. Maybe a methadone patient. Typical for the area. I walked a little faster, up the block to the office, escaping the freakshow.

No comments: